Old 16-07-2016, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blight or Blackleg

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:

Looks like damp weather due to adj Jet-streams are going to be a feature of
our climate but I guess the obvious answer is to have a get-together with
the other allotments and agree to a ban on spuds - but for how many years?

Forget it. Blight is hosted by too many wild plants for that to work,
and is carried by the wind. We used to lead the world in agricultural
research, but the DTI always loathed that, and Thatcher allowed them
to destroy it. Breeding resistant varieties is the only long-term
solution, though Bordeaux mixture can help.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.