Old 18-07-2016, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Anthracnose on Tomatoes

Is there anything practical that can be done? My couple of container-grown
'Patio' tomato plants produce loads of tomatoes, more than I can use
actually, but they all invariably develop the typical sunken then darkened
spots of anthracnose at about the time they ripen properly. Even those that
look OK quickly turn when brought into the kitchen. I use fresh commercial
planting mix every year so the disease should not be from that source. All
I can figure is that it is 'in the air' since we have had a large
percentage of our native dogwoods succumb to anthracnose in recent decades.
Every year is seems that some plague or another attacks my tomatoes -- I'm
about ready to give up on fresh tomatoes.