Old 18-07-2016, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Anthracnose on Tomatoes

On 7/18/2016 2:40 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 7/18/2016 1:14 PM, Frank wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Maybe spraying in advance next year
might prevent it but I hear once in the soil there is nothing to do
except replace the soil.

Fungus spores can be spread by wind, rain, creatures. It most commonly
is found in the soil, and gets splashed up onto the plant leaves with
rain or watering, so mulching helps minimize it. Also space the plants
widely to minimize transmission between plants.

There used to be a soil fumigant available for retail sale that
completely killed everything in the soil. It was useful in the last
resort and would provide fungus-free gardening for several years before
the spore counts invariably increased again. But it was taken off the
market, as it was quite hazardous to handle.

I do toss waste from plants off the deck near the house to just mulch
down with the tree bark near the house. Maybe not far enough. Also
used old dirt from pots on the lawn so maybe have contaminated the whole
area. Figured 10 ft up in the air was far enough.

I've got 0.8 acre lot but over the years shade and deer have chased me
into gardening on the deck so maybe I'll just quit.