Old 19-07-2016, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default doing well

On 7/19/2016 12:34 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/19/2016 10:53 AM, The Cook wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 07:32:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

with six beehives in the neighboring field
almost any patch of flowers we have are beeing
harvested.

I started to prune some of my herbs about a month ago and noticed
honey bees all over them. That put a quick stop to that idea. DH
mentioned that the next door neighbor had put in a hive. Thank you
Roger.

Other than that the rest of the garden is a mess. The tomato plants
are really meager and the zukes have given up & the cukes haven't done
much either.

Heat, lack of rain and watering are the main problems. Add to that I
have not felt like getting out there like I usually do. The weeds are
taking over. I am not sure that I can still find my rhubarb.

Hopefully I will feel like getting out there more next year.

I'm the lucky one, married a woman 57 years ago who stays healthy, works
hard, loves to garden, and walks a lot. I'm at the point in my life that
walking is a real chore and I don't exercise because I fall over so
easy. All of that and I still enjoy life, do what I can in the garden,
even occasionally run the electric mower for a little while. Tripped in
the garden two days ago and have the bruises to prove it. Bad legs,
wacky brain cells, don't help but I keep on trying.

I, too, hope you get out more next year Susan. We've been correspondents
for a long time. Stay with it, gardening always gives hope to those of
us who like it.

George

You sound a lot like me and maybe most of us old fogies. Doctor once
told me you do what you enjoy until you can't do it any more. Sorta
glad that deer and shade took over my big garden. It was a the bottom
of our hill side lot and I can recall the days of bringing up two 5
gallon buckets of vegetables every couple of days.