Old 19-07-2016, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Transplanting an 8ft apple tree in midsummer?

In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 7:08:40 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 18/07/2016 22:03,
wrote:
I've heard that the advisable time to transplant a tree is in spring or autumn. If I do it in midsummer, how much more risky is this? I'd really like to get the old tree moved so I can plant a different tree in the same place as soon as possible.

Thanks...
JD

8ft tree means nothing.
How old is it?
I'd say you might as well dig it up, chop it up and burn it if you want
it out of the way at this time of year.

Thanks. It's hard to say how old it is. I bought it as a potted sapling in Spring 2015 and at that time, it was about 5 to 6 ft tall. I've no idea how old it was at that time.
JD

In that case you might well be able to move it successfully next
winter, when it's dormant . Make sure you dig the new hole first, then
dig a big rootball of earth with the tree so that the roots are as
little disturbed or exposed as possible.

If you move it in summer or spring when its in active growth it's
unlikely to survive.

Janet