Old 28-07-2016, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Box privet yellowing tips?

On 28/07/2016 10:34, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:37:33 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

I wonder if you are worrying about nothing.

I would love to know that was the case David. ;-)

There is a variety of box that has yellow tips
see http://www.buxus-sempervirens.co.uk/...ves/4567844307

Erm, that seems to suggest the tips are yellow because of the plant
suffering some form of stress or did you mean to include a different
link?

I spoke to Mum yesterday (a very keen gardener) and she suggested that
if the pots drained (and some seem to do so quite quickly) that there
was little chance of over watering them. But is there a difference
between 'mostly damp' and 'properly wet' AFA these plants are
concerned?

Also, would spraying water on the trunk (by accident) cause such a
plant 'stress' (assuming it is a stress thing) do you think? I ask
because the plant overhangs the top of the pot so without spraying
water all over the plant (with little idea how much is going to the
roots) I sneak the hose nozzle under the foliage at the corner of the
pot and water from there?

After watering I will often also lift the foliage at different
locations just to check how the water is being spread and whilst I
sometimes see some slight pudding, it soon soaks in. There is no way
it 'backing up' as such.

Lastly, I mentioned elsewhere I haven't added the (liquid) fertiliser
(yet) but according to the example on your link, a lack of appropriate
nutrients would tend to make the leaves turn more brown all over than
yellow at the tips?

Again, sorry for all the silly questions. It's just that there are
quite a few of these plants, I'm aware they aren't cheap and I really
don't want to be doing anything to put them at risk. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Sorry,
Was on my way out and just went for the picture which is typical of
Buxus sempervirens Gold Tip also known as B. sempervirens "Notata"
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay