Old 28-07-2016, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default first tomato worm

On 7/28/2016 8:14 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
It's 0810, lots of clouds, still hot as a two dollar pistol though. Heat
index for today is around 109F. Picked a few more crowder peas, the new
cucumber vine is full of blossoms, hopefully they will grow well. Pulled
most of the older tomatoes as they had quit producing. Watering the
fruit trees twice a day. Weather folk predicted a nice rain yesterday,
didn't happen, got cloudy, nice cool wind, the ran was wasted on Houston
city, they had floods again, Ma Nature must abhor large, giant, nasty,
cities. We seldom go into Houston proper, no need, lots of malls around
here.

we had a bit of rain yesterday. i watered the veggie
gardens earlier that morning. i still asked Ma to water
the trees we transplanted because it has been so hot.
i don't think the rains are enough. they look good so
far.

made another five quarts of dill pickles yesterday
and Ma put some cucumbers and sliced onions and mayo
in the fridge so i can have them.

our local grocery store is fairly high priced so
we don't often go there for anything other than milk
or a few other things. once or twice a month we have
to do bulk purchases for Ma's cooking sprees and we
stock up on our staples when we're out. it is a bit
of a drive, but our favorite Chinese place is over
that ways too.

the storm that went through yesterday was pretty
strong north of us, flash flood warnings in a few
places. we had enough rain to call it rain instead
of a sprinkle, but i was envious of the places up
there that got a good soaking.

songbird

Well, we're currently getting sporadic sprinkles of rain, lots of
thunder, a little lightning, and damned little rain. I reckon we will
still have to water the gardens and the fruit trees this afternoon if
the rain gods fail us again. At least the temperature dropped a bit.

Miss Tilly Dawg Shirley is doing better, the antibiotics helped and the
other two drugs she's on are helping too. We were really worried about
her until we changed vets, the new one is much better than the old one
so we're happy again.

George