Old 31-07-2016, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Transplanting an 8ft apple tree in midsummer?

On 19/07/2016 17:25, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 3:44:00 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 7:08:40 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:
On 18/07/2016 22:03,
wrote:
I've heard that the advisable time to transplant a tree is in spring or autumn. If I do it in midsummer, how much more risky is this? I'd really like to get the old tree moved so I can plant a different tree in the same place as soon as possible.

Thanks...
JD

8ft tree means nothing.
How old is it?
I'd say you might as well dig it up, chop it up and burn it if you want
it out of the way at this time of year.

Thanks. It's hard to say how old it is. I bought it as a potted sapling in Spring 2015 and at that time, it was about 5 to 6 ft tall. I've no idea how old it was at that time.
JD

In that case you might well be able to move it successfully next
winter, when it's dormant . Make sure you dig the new hole first, then
dig a big rootball of earth with the tree so that the roots are as
little disturbed or exposed as possible.

If you move it in summer or spring when its in active growth it's
unlikely to survive.

Janet

Thanks Janet! I seem to remember you from years ago. Did you used to go by the name 'Spider'? Or was that another fruit-tree-loving lady? ISTR, you always gave great advice on fruit trees (including the very one in question)!
JD

Hi JD,

This is the arachnid in question. Sorry, I've been very busy in the
garden and with life in general, so not looked in here very much.

You've had some great advice from the others and esp. Chris Hogg. I
would only add that you might prune the crown of your apple tree to
lighten its workload while it is attempting to re-establish itself.
Next spring, enjoy the blossom but consider removing any setting fruit
until the tree is better able to support a crop of apples. If, because
it's a newish tree and you're anxious to try the fruit, just leave one
or two fruits to grow on and remove the rest. You also need to know if
your tree is tip or spur bearing, as this will affect how you prune it.
If you know the name of the apple type (ie James Grieves, Spartan, etc),
then you can probably learn this on line from one of the apple tree
nurseries.
It's always worth remembering that you prune in summer to control growth
and in winter (when the tree is dormant) to encourage growth. The fact
that you will be summer pruning this year seems to be appropriate. You
can move to winter pruning when you're certain that your tree is
established and flourishing once more.

Hope this helps.
--
Spider