Old 03-08-2016, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:01:12 PM UTC+1, Harold Davis wrote:
I live in a rural area on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and there's a
piece of land that while it doesn't belong to me is kind of my
responsibility to keep kempt - a wide verge between my fence and the road.
Although there's no pronounced slope from side to side, it's not flat and I
don't want the bother of having to strim or mow it.

What fast-growing bushes might I sow there? Ideally I would like something
like wild fuchsia. There isn't a lot of it on the island, as there is in
parts of rural Ireland, but there is some. Gorse would also be nice.

I'd be grateful for advice or suggestions. I'm looking for something

* that doesn't require tending or pruning

* that grows fast, perhaps to a height of 3-5 feet (although a shorter
height would also be OK - wild fuchsia is lovely, as is gorse, but what's
most important is ground coverage), and

* that either grows on the island wild already or is similar to plants that
do, or at least fits in with those that do, and

* that I can buy a big bag of seeds for for scattering by hand, or
alternatively if it grows already on the island, that I can gather seeds
for from existing plants growing wild.

Many thanks for any help with this.

Harry

I would be very wary of introducing a plant that doesn't already grow on the island.

Jonathan