Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default when to pick a pepper

On 8/3/2016 9:55 AM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article , T wrote:

Hi All,

No Peter Piper jokes, unless they are funny, the yo have
dispensation.

I have a Sandia plant (Chimayo or Mew Mexico Red) that is
about 12" all and now has two, three inch peppers hanging
from it.

When is it time to pick a pepper?

Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go out
to see if it's softly glowing blue.

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor grow
peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I suppose there is
the question of whether this particular sort of pepper turns color
(probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark) when ripe.

Used to grow them and I am not an expert but there is nobody answering.
I recall you can pick them anytime but they might tend to get "woody" if
too old. It is nice to see color though just not go too long.