Old 03-08-2016, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Harold Davis Harold Davis is offline

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote in news:nnsr1n
:

On 03/08/2016 12:05, Harold Davis wrote:
Harold Davis wrote in
:

I live in a rural area on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and there's
piece of land that while it doesn't belong to me is kind of my
responsibility to keep kempt - a wide verge between my fence and the
road. Although there's no pronounced slope from side to side, it's
not flat and I don't want the bother of having to strim or mow it.

(snip)

I should have added: the area is about 4-5 metres wide and 50-60
metres
long! A small part of it already has some low-lying green flowers that
I don't know the name of.

"low-lying green flowers" isn't very precise, but green flowers (if
meant literally) are relatively uncommon, so it is Alchemilla - either
the garden escape Alchemilla mollis, or one of the native species (you
might have Alchemilla alpina up there)?

Thanks for this. Well at least the information was enough for you to
identify the genus They look like Alchemilla mollis; definitely not
Alchemilla alpina.

Any advice really depends on ground conditions - is it sandy, or rocky
or peaty, is it wet, or dry?

It's peaty. No sand. We get an average of maybe 50 inches of rain a year,
but the site itself isn't wet. It's well drained. It runs parallel to and
slightly higher than the road and has a gravel-filled drainage ditch
along the middle.

Harry