Old 03-08-2016, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

On 8/3/2016 1:49 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
wrote:
On 8/3/2016 1:18 PM, Phil L wrote:
I personally wouldn't have 50m by 4m of the same thing, why not plant gorse
(or broom which has been suggested) in 3 or 4 metre patches and infil 3 or 4
metre patches with wild fuchsia. Cuttings would be better for fuchsias
although they're not very fast growing, I'd put 20 or 30 cuttings in each
patch as some are bound not to take / survive.
Never grown broom or gorse so have no ideas on this.

I would definitely NOT plant gorse! It's evil stuff, and spreads
rapidly, whether or not you want it to. There's a lot of it on the
common grazings surrounding our property, and I spend far too much time
trying to get rid of volunteer seedlings.
Broom though, is just as pretty, and doesn't rip your skin to shreds if
you need to cut it back.

Broom is also a legume with root nodules that supply nitrogen, so will
grow on poor soil.

Yes, and it comes in a number of colour combinations, not just the usual
bright yellow.