Old 05-08-2016, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default My first cherry Tomato!

T wrote:
On 07/28/2016 05:31 AM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
On 07/27/2016 04:20 AM, songbird wrote:
i can't eat
them

Oh that sucks! Do they hurt your digestion?

no, i grew up eating and cooking italian food
with plenty of tomatoes my whole life until i
turned 50 and then i started getting rashes.
eventually i narrowed it down to tomatoes
causing the problem.

Double SUCKS!

My wife can not be in the house with a ripening
conventional tomato (the packers smother them in chlorinated
hydrocarbons), but she is perfectly fine with my home
grown tomatoes and store bought organic tomatoes.
But I don't think this is your problem as you farm
organically.

i don't use the term organically that often, but
consider it natural, traditional or even simplistic.

yes, we don't usually add sugar, salt or pepper to
things we cook here. i am gradually lowering my own
sugar intake, but i still have a few things i do like
some sugar on.

You can try stevia. But be careful, too much doesn't
make it cloying; too much tastes like gasoline (saccharin).
It isa self limiting in that sense.

doubt i will bother growing it here, but
i did try a leaf when i visited my brother.
interesting plant for sure.

my own ideas are more in the line that if
something tastes like sugar then it is probable
to some extent that even the taste alone can
kick off bodily responses. so i tend to avoid
the sugar substitutes also.

I take it back on the double sucks. Bell pepper sauce ?!?!?!
Make that for a triple sucks! Oh Man!

not bell pepper (aka green peppers i don't
particularly like), red peppers are much better
IMO.

I wonder if this stuff (or your own sub) would work?
http://www.nomato.com/products.htm
Ingredients: Organic Carrots, Water, Beets, Organic
Onions, Lemon Juice, Kosher Salt, Garlic, Basil,
Oregano, and Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C)

all things i can eat, would skip the salt and
acid. lemon juice is ok as is.

we'll see how the peppers work out this year.
i ate a lot of them last year. one time i went out
and picked over 40 of them and cooked up half of
them right away along with some sausage and onions.
very yummy, except then of course i want to eat it
all up...

I am up to four cherry tomatoes now! I got hundreds of green
ones.

we're seeing plenty of green ones here too. i
will have to look tomorrow when i'm watering to
see how things are coming along. plenty of beef-
steaks on the plants. we'll be canning most
of them eventually.

songbird