Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_6_] Derek[_6_] is offline

Default what plant might I help to grow wild on the Isle of Lewis?

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 20:06:32 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

Three from six of my Sir Matt Busbys have all but died - they all started
off with a profusion of flowers and I've been dead-heading them all the
same, three have stopped producing while the other three are producing even
more.

Its quite possible that they have finished their flowering, so cut the
fuchsia down by two thirds, water and feed, and they may well be
flowing again by October. A grower I know opens his garden for the NGS
in June where he has 150 varieties of fuchsia on show, day after, cuts
down all the plants by a third, de leaves them (that's a mammoth job)
and they are all back for his Autumn NGS open day!

one of them has battered and bruised leaves, as does another completely red
fuchsia that I don't know the name of, the leaves appear to have been shot
with a shotgun, thousands of tiny holes, some joined to other holes.

Have you checked at night? Do as I say above, its very difficult to
kill a fuchsia (expect possibly with kindness)

I have grown 'Sir Matt Busbys' not a great fan, suggest if you see a
fuchsia with a celebrity name, you leave it alone, there are over
11,000 different varieties

For anyone here who would like to visit my forum, you need to log in
to see the best bits

Login with

Name fuchsia
password Ng2016