Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Crop Rotation for Pumpkins

Pavel314 wrote:
I cleared an area last year for pumpkins and winter squash and got a good crop out of it. I'm using it for the same crops this year and they're doing well so far. Would it be ok to plant the same there next year? I till in a lot of compost each year before planting and fertilize the area but I'm worried about bugs or disease if I keep planting the same thing over and over.

i would try to put the compost down deeper in
more concentrated areas and plant into those.

if you have a diverse area around it perhaps
the bugs won't be a problem. at the end of
the season bury what you can rake up and plant
a cover crop. turn that under in the early
spring, plant when the ground gets warm enough.

next season put the holes in different
locations.

we've rotate planted. they seem to really
like the piles of stuff i've buried and getting
plenty of water.

we have the kinds of squish that run all over
the place and some are already 20ft.

songbird