Old 08-08-2016, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default when to pick a pepper

On 8/8/2016 9:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
T wrote:
On 08/04/2016 09:20 PM, songbird wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
Well, if it's a _Sandia_ pepper, you wait for a dark night, and go
out to see if it's softly glowing blue.

heh...

(Spent a little too much time in a lab wearing a dosage badge a long
time ago - that's a joke, I say a joke, son, and I neither like nor
grow peppers so I'm otherwise useless for your question) - I
suppose there is the question of whether this particular sort of
pepper turns color (probably not blue, nor glowing in the dark)
when ripe.

if my lab days were writ in any color it would be
phosphor green.

at least after i graduated to using a terminal instead
of punched cards.

songbird

Okay you two. I know you are pulling my leg. I know
that hots pepper grow "red" in the dark. The "blue" ones
are those yukky sweet pepper those folks above the Mason/Dixon
line cook with. The green glowers are the really gross ones
and are the color of, well I will stop here as it is a
family group.

So, fellows, I am not tricked. Ha! I AM NOT FOOLED!

:-)

-T

Too bad I can't use my horse s*** for fertilizer. My
plants would be 20 feet tall!

You CAN use horse manure for fertilizer , but it needs to be "hot
composted" first to kill whatever seeds make it thru the horse's digestive
tract . Cow manure on the other hand can be applied directly as it comes
from the cow ...

DO NOT use race horse manure, they get more drugs than humans, can cause
problems when humans eat the produce that grows in it. Found that out
many years ago.

The best animal manure is rabbit, doesn't need composting, goes straight
into the garden row and is pretty rich too. We once had a commercial
rabbitry and we used everything but the squeal. Chicken, pigeon, pig,
etc. definitely need composting to completion.

George, farm boy many years and years ago