Old 10-08-2016, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pollarding Flowering Cherry Trees

On 10/08/2016 16:47, Ermin Trude wrote:
Has anyone any experience of pollarding cherry trees please?

We have a couple of very large cherry trees in the garden with lots of
bough but very little leaf and thin covering of blossom each spring.

I am minded to pollard the trees to make them far more compact and to
reduce bough length in doing so. Hopefully this would also concentrate
the blossom.

Has anyone tried this and with what result? I'll forgo the bloosom for
the first year but would hope to see it in future years - for this reason
I'd not be doing both at the same time.

Thanks

One across the road from us was given some chain saw pruning, it
flowered a bit the following year was better the next and back to normal
by the third year

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk