Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ermin Trude Ermin Trude is offline

Default Pollarding Flowering Cherry Trees

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 22:55:29 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 10/08/2016 18:21, Ermin Trude wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:57:50 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

On 10/08/2016 16:47, Ermin Trude wrote:
Has anyone any experience of pollarding cherry trees please?

normal by the third year

Thanks Charlie - did they just prune it or pollard it?

It was reduced in size all over by two thirds, the branches at the point
of being cut were around a 6" diameter It looked very stumpy when done
but as I said before it recovered over a couple of years and you now
cant tell it was touched (actually needs doing again!)

Thanks again. It sounds like the situation I have though maybe the
boughs here are somewhat greater diameter.

Certainly I think its going to be worth a try as a pruning exercise first
with pollarding later if necessary.