Old 12-08-2016, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Canary Island Palm

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 8/8/2016 7:32 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I've got this canary island palm that came up wild near the property
line. I didn't realize it would get so big so quickly. I'd like to
leave it there,because it's a good divider between the yards unless
I'm risking damage to a block wall. The trunk is now about 2-feet
diameter and about 6-12 inches from the wall.

I know some types of trees have roots that grow near the surface and
could do damage but I have no experience with this type of palm.

Anyone know if keeping it is a risk to the wall?

Palms do not develope the massive roots that could damage the wall.
However, the tree might grow large enough to press against the wall and
knock it over.

Next question.... I have read that some people will pay big bucks to
come and dig these canary palms out and move them. Any truth to
that?

Yes. Palms transplant very well, even when only a small root ball
remains attached. In fact, if you are concerned that your palm might
bump the wall during a Santa Ana wind, you can move it without killing it.

--
David E. Ross

- Thanks David. I checked just now, and it's far enough away from the wall that it wouldn't touch during high winds. As long as the roots are not a problem as far as damaging the wall, I'll just leave it where it is. First choice would be to sell it to someone if it's worth much and plant something else in its place. Probably not practical unless the company has a crane to lift it up and out. The only way to get equipment in the yard a 5-ft space between the house and the block wall. Still, will make some calls and post what I find out.

I was able to get to the other side of the wall today which is inside a fenced yard. Bad news -- the wall is starting to lean away from the tree at the top of the wall, and the mortar has broken between a few blocks. I don't see anything close to the wall on my side, but it is so overgrown around the tree I can't get close enough yet. Will do some trimming this weekend and see.

Now I see that there are 4-6 smaller trunks coming growing around the tree at the base. Not huge, but large enough to create pressure if there is one against the wall.

If this turns out to be the problem, I could cut that trunk off and have nothing within a foot or more of the wall. Latest questions are....

After I cut that trunk off, should I put asphalt or some other sealing agent on the cut?

If it turns out that the roots may be pushing up the wall, would it hurt the tree if I dig down and cut the roots on my side of the wall?