Old 13-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Clara5 Clara5 is offline
Registered User

Default Verbena bonariensis turned hefty

Hello
I planted some little Verbena bonariensis plants in about May and they grew nicely how I've always seen them - thin dull green stems and sparse leaves that don't catch the eye and pretty pink flowerheads at the top, here supposed to be among ornamental grasses. But in the last three weeks or so, a sort of giant version of them has pushed up in the middle of each plant, much lighter and brighter green, stems and leaves about four times the size and the same little heads of little flowers appearing at the top. They won't look at all good among the grasses when those grow, and in fact they don't look that good anyway because the flowers are so small in comparison! I asked a neighbour who is a gardener what the heck was going on and he said they were just second year stems and my plants are doing really well. But this isn't the typical V. bonariensis effect that I wanted and I can't see any photographs of it looking like that online! Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
Thanks
Clara5