Old 16-08-2016, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Verbena bonariensis turned hefty

On 13/08/2016 19:35, Clara5 wrote:
Hello
I planted some little Verbena bonariensis plants in about May and they
grew nicely how I've always seen them - thin dull green stems and sparse
leaves that don't catch the eye and pretty pink flowerheads at the top,
here supposed to be among ornamental grasses. But in the last three
weeks or so, a sort of giant version of them has pushed up in the middle
of each plant, much lighter and brighter green, stems and leaves about
four times the size and the same little heads of little flowers
appearing at the top. They won't look at all good among the grasses when
those grow, and in fact they don't look that good anyway because the
flowers are so small in comparison! I asked a neighbour who is a
gardener what the heck was going on and he said they were just second
year stems and my plants are doing really well. But this isn't the
typical V. bonariensis effect that I wanted and I can't see any
photographs of it looking like that online! Does anyone have any
suggestions, please?
Thanks
Clara5

Hi Clara,

Your neighbour was right: second year stems are often much stronger and
taller. They delight me, but are perhaps out of proportion with your
planting plan. I suggest you keep sowing fresh seed (the plant will be
all too willing to help you!) as it ripens each year. This way your
plants will make the first years growth, which is what you feel you
recognise, and which you desire.

VB is a short-lived perennial, so it will always try and survive
subsequent years. The answer is in your own hands. You can pull up
second year plants (seems a shame), or simply cut over-tall stems and
put them in a vase.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London