Old 17-08-2016, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Blackberries

On 17/08/2016 14:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:16:03 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Having moved house, I'm finding that the blackberry/brambles
growing in the hedgerows and fields are already ripe for
picking in places. I'm used to picking late Sep/Oct. Juwst
wondering if anyone else has found that they are early this
year, or is it just the town location, 150ft lower and or
different varietey?

When we picked hedgerow blackberries in quantity (approx 50 lbs in a
season, all frozen, lasted almost the 12 months until next season), we
would be picking the first ones in the first week of August. But not
seen many around here yet, just one or two, so a bit later than usual
in West Cornwall.

Here on the sunny side of Swansea bay the blackberries started in any
quantity in the last week or so, must try to pick some before the
forecast rain hits us.