Old 18-08-2016, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Ground cover for sand above drain field

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:00:45 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:43:51 -0400, Ed Wicks wrote:

I had a new septic drain field installed. It is above ground and covered with
sand. The area is in the sun for most of the day. I’m in FL.
What would be a suitable ground cover for this sandy area, something that my
yard guy could plant?

When people install gardens on flat roofs here in the northeast -- mostly
to insulate -- the plants they like to use are the sedums. They don't need
watering. While I think of Florida as getting ample rain, the sand will
drain any rain out promptly. Some of the sedums are low and creep like a
ground cover.

They also use grasses here. Grasses can also take a drought. Certainly
beach grass likes growing in sand.

More suggestions can be found by searching on gardening in sand. But I vote
for a sedum, or a variety of sedums.

Sedums also flower profusely. Many people where I live plant sedums
on steep rocky slopes and around granite outcroppings that can't be
mowed... sedums require no maintenence... once sedum is established
weeds are smothered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum