Old 18-08-2016, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Hayter 56 throttle control springs

timo wrote:
Hi..sorry to ask.. first post!.. I have inherited a Hayter 56 mower
with Briggs and Stratton which has been brilliant, but the throttle
control doesnt work, only runs at one speed.
I dismantled and cleaned the mower today and its really helped..lots
of loose/ missing bolts, etc.. but I cant work out what is meant to
happen with the springs, are there meant to be 2? I have looked
everywhere on google but none of the engines seem to match the
throttle layout I have? I have replaced the govenor spring with a new
one but that didnt help. The throttle control at the front of the
mower moves, but this doesnt move the throttle control at the end of
the govenor spring, should there be a second spring? I can manually
move the second control and this alters the rev, so no valve issues
(?), but not sure what is mean to move the control?
I've attached some photos so I hope that help? Many thanks and
apologies if Im too vague... its an old machine so no silver plate
with serial nos, etc.. and clearly no expert!.. thanks
tim

Filename: spring.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16443|
Filename: cover.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16444|

Most governers work by the spring pulling on the internal governer
mechanism , which is then connected to the throttle shaft by a solid link .
It amounts to a balancing act between the external spring tension and the
forces generated by the internal mechanism - that is , the more spring
tension applied the faster the motor must turn for the internal mechanism to
overcome the higher spring tension .
Hope this helps you .
--
Snag