Old 19-08-2016, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Planting two semi-dward pear cultivars in a confined space

On 18/08/2016 19:11, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 3:02:33 PM UTC+1, David wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 04:32:13 -0700,
wrote:

Good day! I have two different semi-dwarf pears: a Conference and a
Williams bon de Chretien). The maximum planting distance I have vailable
at the desired location is only 10ft. Is it better to plant them 10 ft
apart, or plant them both in the same hole (a.k.a. high-denisty
planting)? Many thanks!

JD

What is limiting you to the 10 feet?

If there are other trees, or solid obstructions, then you might plant them
three feet into the plot at either end, leaving six feet in between.

I suspect that if you plant different varieties in the same hole they
might fight each other for survival.

Are they both on the same rootstock?

Cheers

Dave R

Hi Dave,
Not sure what the root stocks are.That the tags said they both may grow to 3.5m tall and 3.5m wide. I guess that makes them semi-dwarf. There is no solid obstruction limiting me to that 15ft max - just a boundary at one end and the need for a walkway, past the tree at the other. So your suggestion of 6ft apart looks suitable.
Thanks,
JD

Just remember that if they are 6ft apart then they only have to grow
3from the trunk to be touching.