Old 19-08-2016, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Best light petrol rotary mower nowadays

On 18/08/2016 19:45, Mervington wrote:
We bought our first petrol Flymo in 1975. It never caused any
problems mechanically. After about 15 years I had to dispose of it. I
had repaired the platform several times. The motor was still fine.
It was simple and light and did a super job. I was mowing about a
quarter acre at the time.

We have had four wheeled rotary mowers since then, all fairly cheap and
worked fine. Last year I bought a Toro mulcher type, the most
expensive one by far. The reason for purchase was that both my wife
and I are passed our best, and the power drive - push the bar forward -
was appealing. It has caused us more problems than anything we have had
before, regardless of whether we have used it on bag or mulch.

snip

The question - after letting off steam - is whether there is (and I'm
sure there isn't) a light and simple hover petrol mower of the type I
had 40 years ago? I have a another genuine Flymo hover, bigger than
our original, but it is simply too heavy and cumbersome to cart around.

I had a big Flymo years ago that had the usual hover deck but also had a
pair of quite large wheels. The handle went down to the wheels then two
shafts went forward to either side of the 4 stroke B&S engine. We mowed
a quarter acre or more with that for years, in fact it still worked well
when I sold it and bought a ride on.

The big wheels made it really light to push, both whilst mowing and when
moving between grassed areas over gravel.

Do Flymo make them still?

Mike