Old 19-08-2016, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] dfgdfg@dfgdfhd.com is offline

Default Planting two semi-dward pear cultivars in a confined space

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 12:45:32 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

Just remember that if they are 6ft apart then they only have to grow
3from the trunk to be touching.

Yes.... that's why I was chewing over the idea of planting both in the same hole, like you suggested. I suspect that visually, the end result might look more pleasing to the eye than having them 6ft apart, provided they both grow in a similar way. Would you agree? I could probably just plant one tree instead of two, as they are both supposed to be somewhat self-pollinating.. But these trees were only £10 each, so I got the two different cultivars. I *could* plant one in the spot I mentioned and the other one on the other side of my tall garden wall (I own the land beyond)... but I wouldn't be able to see it from my garden then, and the fruit would be awkward to access.

Cheers,
JD