Old 20-08-2016, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default should I pull a sick zuke?

On 8/20/2016 3:54 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

tired of them anyway, already have several pans of moussaka in the
freezer and just how much deep fried eggplant can we eat? We generally

We usually just peel, slice, dip in a bit of oil, and bake on a sheet in
the oven. Serve with a bit of tzatziki. But they are well-nigh onto
impossible to grow here (the plants will grow - getting them to fruit -
eh, not so much) so they are usually imported from elsewhere.

What's your climate and part of the world? We grew eggplant and zucchini
in our very small, mostly sand, garden in Saudi Arabia. They weren't
monsters but they were edible.

We did much better with frangi pani, fig trees, and bougainvillea.
Luckily we had enough water from the two sea water conversion plants
along the shore to grow anything.

We also grew orchids but had to build a shade over them. Bought the
orchids in Thailand and shipped them back to Saudi and the Arab's loved
to come by and look at our gardens, We would hold an "open garden" one
Saturday a month and they would "oh and ah" the whole time. When we
decided to go home I had a list of those who wanted to buy our orchids
and then we had a bidding war. Made a good profit on them too.

We generally got local vegetables but a Dutch farmer started shipping
garden vegetables to our area on the Red Sea and at a reasonable price.
Things to eat became much better than goat and camel. Enjoyed the
country and the job back in the early eighties, wouldn't want to go back
though.

Here in SE Texas most anything grows well, this time of year you have to
keep your garden from drowning, we get a lot of rain here.