Old 21-08-2016, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default should I pull a sick zuke?

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

What's your climate and part of the world? We grew eggplant and zucchini
in our very small, mostly sand, garden in Saudi Arabia. They weren't

43 north. 70-odd west. 'dam Yankees. If I throw up a hoop house I might,
just might , have a hope in heck. Global warming has simply not made
this part of the world safe for happy egg-plants yet (and the actual
effects of GW make it less safe for them, not to mention what they did
to all the fruit tree blossoms this spring - too warm, too early,
followed by too cold followed by no fruit a'tall. More chaos, not
"simply a little warmer.")

At the moment I'm looking at a ton of green tomatoes, but they are just
ripening in dribs and drabs - I didn't even plant eggplant this year,
and just as well, the garden is a mess (other things have reared their
ugly heads to take priority) and I need to redo the hoofed-rat fence.
Should have another month or so before normal frost date, last year it
was 2-1/2 months more, so hopefully they will get their act together,
but right now it's a bit frustrating.

The old Italian guys have their tricks, but not all of those are easily
applied without obtaining a different house first that has a better
situation for a garden right up against a south wall that's in full sun,
say. It's a good trick, but one that really has to be applied before you
start.