Old 21-08-2016, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Does boiling water really work?

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds instantly. So
why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and more
effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a weed wand
is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

Problem one: the risk of spilling boiling water on yourself.

Problem two: transporting the boiling water to the location of the weeds
- your allotment may be miles from your house.

Problem three: It will kill the top growth of weeds. It won't kill the
roots of stuff like dandelion, unless you saturate the soil with boiling
water down to the roots - in which case you're sterilising the soil. I
don't imagine it's good for earthworms. And I suspect that it doesn't
work with clay soils. So you need repeated applications. (The video
claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any evidence.)

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been thinking
of trying it on "patio weeds".]

--
SRH