Old 22-08-2016, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Does boiling water really work?

Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/08/2016 16:51, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 09:11:26 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 21/08/2016 21:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:18:29 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

On 21/08/2016 20:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
I just watched this, and he claims it kills 90% of weeds
instantly. So

Its the remaining 10% of each and every weed that grows back again.
You can find plenty of clueless idiots on the internet claiming all
sorts of gibberish. If you put enough table salt on weeds it will
kill them.

90% sounds bloody good to me. I've tried various weedkillers and
nothing achieved anything like that.

90% of the weed might be dead but the 10% is still alive.
Stupid is as stupid does. More fool you if you believe his crap.

why does anyone use weedkiller? Isn't this cheaper, easier, and
more effective?

https://youtu.be/qm_X-XBINCs

It's effectively the same as using a weed wand, except that a
weed wand is more portable, and I would assume is safer.

But I'd have to buy one, I already have a kettle.

Stupid is as stupid does. It is hard to beat glyphosate for economic
control of weeds as a general purpose weedkiller. Boiling water
will use hundreds of times more resources to do the same job.

Nope, costs very little to boil loads of kettles. Just over a penny
a litre, even with electricity. No weedkiller is anything like that
cheap.

Depends how you use it.
Generic glyphosate is way cheaper for a bulk kill when used correctly.

Which I already have to do with weedkiller. Despite what they say,
weedkiller does not last long at all.

Depends on the weedkiller although the ones that are persistent have
mostly been banned now for domestic use as they were abused. The new
formulations of pathclear are good for most of a season but some
weeds are immune to the new germination inhibitors.

A good one was paraquat, the electricity board used it around their
substations. Unfortunately it gave everyone cancer (and the idiots
blamed the magnetism....)

No it didn't. The reason paraquat was banned is because it is
exceedingly toxic to humans and became the suicide poison of choice.

It was a particularly nasty one too since just as the suicide patient
was seemingly about to recover and want to live just as they died of
multiple organ failure. Extoxnet allows that the stuff might possibly
be carcinogenic in humans but the acute toxicity was the reason for
the ban.

(The video claims it kills the roots, but doesn't offer any
evidence.)

I'm not so sure burning with gas would be any different. Both are
only killing what is on display. But then pouring lots of boiling
water on at once could get to the root.

[I've bought a steam cleaner for use in the kitchen. I've been
thinking of trying it on "patio weeds".]

It will work after a fashion if you are terrified by "chemicals" and
don't mind the environmental pollution caused by using large
amounts of energy to achieve very little by way of useful results.

Since weedkiller costs many many many times more than the fuel to
boil the steam, it's clear that it must also use more resources.

Only if you are exceptionally stupid.

Which he is.

Please don't feed the troll:
Aka: