Old 25-08-2016, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default wasp nest and Clorox

"Tim R" wrote in message ...
Most years I've had to deal with a yellowjacket nest in late summer or early fall (Virginia).

These are social wasps that start with one queen and multiply to about 1500 by late August. They will defend the nest aggressively. If you're not allergic, the lethal dose of venom is around 500 stings, so I take this seriously.

I've tried a number of remedies but have settled on one that works.

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and laundry detergent. Note: a household trigger spray bottle with dish soap and water, 1:15 ratio, knocks bees and wasps down instantly. They don't go into a rage and buzz like when you hit them with Raid, they just drop. Anyway, I set the bucket near the nest during the day.

At night I go out and pour the bucket into the hole, NOT STOPPING once I start. Hee, hee. This has never failed; occasionally I've had to do it a second time to finish the job.

A hose alone never seemed to work. I think they know how to survive water, they get rained on, but soapy water wets and drowns them.

I have never been stung doing this. I usually do get stung mowing the lawn when I find the new nest of the year.

-----

That's a good tip. Soap, vinegar, baking soda and salt takes the place of a lot of chemicals in the garden. Cheaper too. If I ever have to drown a rat, I add enough laundry detergent to break the surface tension which keeps the fleas from jumping out.