Old 25-08-2016, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredded conifer mulch

In the next month or so I'm having a conifer (leylandii) hedge taken
out. There are around 20 trees 6 or 7 metres high.

The trunks and larger branches will be cut and stored for the
log-burning stove. But I'm wondering if the smaller woody and green
stuff would make a good mulch for the flower beds once shredded. I have
around 100^2 metres of beds, so reckon around 7.5^3m of mulch could be
used to cover them to a decent depth. I could store some more if needed,
as I reckon at least 10^3m of shredded material will be produced from
the trees.

There seem to be mixed comments on numerous webpages about the use of
shredded conifer as a mulch, but I reckon it will do more good than harm
(especially with the weeks of drought we seem to get now). Anyone used
this material as a mulch in the last few years?

--

Jeff