Old 26-08-2016, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default wasp nest and Clorox

On 8/24/2016 4:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tim R wrote:
Oh, and yes I know it's a 15 year old thread. G

Not the age of the thread , but you're probably talking about yellow
jackets . I know of no wasps that will nest in the ground . I have seen some
that built a paper nest partly under a rock , but nor under the ground . The
wasps we're most familiar with build a conical paper nest hanging from a
tree or underside of a beam or ceiling .

Not 30 minutes ago I was mowing my front lawn and ran over a nest of yellow
jackets. One of them got me on the back of my left thigh -- straight up the
shorts. Glad it didn't go further and very glad that I'm not allergic.
Probably ten years ago and ten feet away I had the same thing happen and
got stung through my tee and raised a huge painful welt. In both cases I
gave the nests a dose of commercial insecticide straight down the hole.
Fair is fair. If I hadn't gotten stung they wouldn't have gotten poisoned.