Old 27-08-2016, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Pumpkin Patch Weeds

On 08/26/2016 08:04 PM, songbird wrote:
i've had to bury about 60lbs of tomato scraps
yesterday and will have to bury another 40lbs
tomorrow...

Hi Songbird,

Can your wife eat tomatoes at least?

Do you have any concern that you will be spreading
disease by burying the old plants?

I created my next years bed for garlic yesterday.
I thought I did such a good job last year until
my harvest sucked: small and pink (alkalinity).

This year I dug it all up again and redid it with
vegi scraps (mostly melon), peat moss, and
Dr. Earth's GEneral purpose organic fertilizer,
with a little of the original dirt mixed in. I
knew something was very wrong when I had to use my
ax to dig up the old bed. :'P

I have been saving melon rinds in hopes of attracting
worms. And, yes, although not your exact words, but
it ain't soil until it has passed through the alimentary
track of a worm.

Some of the old bed dirt (I wouldn't call it soil) was
harder than the rocks I hit with my ax!

I had planted a garlic clone from last year's harvest
into a plastic pot to see when it sprouted, if it did.
And I remember you telling me you planted right
after harvest. This week it sprouted three beautiful
monocot leaves in is now about 8 inches tall, so I
figured it was time to replant.

I have been watering the new bed to get it all settled
in. In a few days I will replant with the best cloves
from last year's harvest.

I put my earwig traps out by the new bed too. Those
daemon spawn love melon rinds too.

I have got a lot of beautiful plants this year (THANK
YOU ALL!). This is the first year I have actually gotten
peppers too! I mix them in with my purslane in my salads.
Yummy!

Eggplant too!

-T