Old 27-08-2016, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default wasp nest and Clorox

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 8/24/2016 4:37 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tim R wrote:
Oh, and yes I know it's a 15 year old thread. G

Not the age of the thread , but you're probably talking about
yellow jackets . I know of no wasps that will nest in the ground .
I have seen some that built a paper nest partly under a rock , but
nor under the ground . The wasps we're most familiar with build a
conical paper nest hanging from a tree or underside of a beam or
ceiling .

Not 30 minutes ago I was mowing my front lawn and ran over a nest of
yellow jackets. One of them got me on the back of my left thigh --
straight up the shorts. Glad it didn't go further and very glad that
I'm not allergic. Probably ten years ago and ten feet away I had the
same thing happen and got stung through my tee and raised a huge
painful welt. In both cases I gave the nests a dose of commercial
insecticide straight down the hole. Fair is fair. If I hadn't gotten
stung they wouldn't have gotten poisoned.

Some feller, maybe a different group.... was going on and on about
how he lived near a nest of poisonous snakes, and even though his
small children were playing in the same area, he would not kill one.

Myself, I will pick up a spider in the house and drop him outside and
chase off harmless garden varmints, etc. But -- and this is a big
butt -- when I see a black widow around the house or a rattler, rat,
tick, flea, ... I don't call PETA.

My neighbor was cleaning up a wood pile yesterday that's about 25 feet
from his front door , splitting it for firewood this winter . They found 5
adult and 4 baby copperheads ... they're all dead now . If they're out in
the woods , I leave them alone . If they're in my yard , they're dead .
--
Snag