Old 29-08-2016, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default over winter crops?

On 08/28/2016 10:19 PM, Je�us wrote:
Is there anything like garlic that over winters?

How about shallots and potato onions? The latter seem to be quite
uncommon as I never hear much mention of them - a great kind of onion,
they grow in clumps and are quite hardy. Winter lettuce does well...
(English) spinach is another one. Chives might do okay too. Japanese
turnip apparently does well although I haven't tried them myself.
Asparagus crowns... maybe?

Hmmmm. These seem like a really good idea!
http://www.southernexposure.com/yell...-oz-p-873.html
I know just where to put them too. I eat A LOT of onions!

Shallots. I thought you planted them in the spring and harvest
them in the fall. Are there different kinds of shallots?

I am not finding the glycemic load on those Japanese turnips.
They do sound really interesting for those of us that hate
turnips (they taste too metallic for me).

Thank you!