Old 30-08-2016, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default over winter crops?

George Shirley wrote:
Wow! That's a lot of jars, I hope they bring them back. Our kids and
grands have strict instructions to bring those jars back CLEAN! So far
it has worked. We have canning jars that are probably 50 years old but
they keep getting filled until the day they break.

we have various people looking and giving us
jars, but they are often not as nice as the
new ones. we've bought two cases so far when
we ran out, but that expense will be reimbursed
by the person who gets those jars. we try to
keep our eyes open for sales too.

we're trying to give away the wide-mouth jars
and odd sizes to people we don't usually get them
back from.

so far this season we have had one break on us.
this is the first time in all the years we've had
one break. figured it might have gotten cracked
and we didn't notice it. once in a while we get
one given to us that is chipped or cracked and if
it is really old we'll keep it for the bottle
collection, but not use it for canning, otherwise
off to the recycling it goes.

i would actually like to keep a lot more for a
bottle collection that are unique or the very
old and heavy ones. just don't have the space
here for them all... so just reuse 'em. figure
some people we give them to might keep them for
themselves or whatever. ah well...

we've also put some in recycling that were not
standard small lid sized jars. dunno where they
came from. looked like old mayo jars.

songbird