Old 31-08-2016, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default over winter crops?

On 8/31/2016 9:39 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
I have a large number of Atlas jars with the standard small lid. Ran
into the first bunch at a Pentecostal Church sale, five cents each. I
carry a standard small lid with me when I go fossiking just to ensure
they work. They were originally REAL jars from a spaghetti sauce, can't
remember the name. They're still around but changed the neck of the jar
so it is no longer of use for canning. They're not quite a quart but are
really good for pickles and jellies. I'm looking at about six cases of
pints, a couple of cases of quarts and a case of half gallon jars right
now. Plus a bunch of little 1/4. 1/8, etc. jars that have come in over
the years.

i've got a bag of odd little sized jars in the closet
that i would use for odds and ends of jam batches, but
now that i'm doing freezer jam and have been happy using
pint jars i hardly even use them any more. and some of
those decorative diamond pattern jars which are too tippy
and i don't like 'em. tried a few minutes ago to talk
Ma into letting me put some tomato juice in them so i
could get rid of them... nope... darn...

I accuse my lovely wife of hoarding and she smiles and mentions my
canning pantry. Touche!

har! i have boxes of old bottles on top of the book-
cases, that i really should just see if anyone wants them
because i've not bothered with them since i put them up
there. some old ink wells are about all i really like and
a few coffin bottles and colored soda water bottles. used
to go with a friend digging for bottles and would help him
scrub them so he'd let me take a few here or there.

that was a long time ago when i was up north.

songbird

Back in the sixties and seventies my Dad and I operated a gunsmith shop
and we also handled antique bottles and jars. Our area of Texas at that
time was loaded with old homesteads, long burned or taken out. We could
find the privy holes easily and dug out many an old bottle, jar, or
whiskey jug. Soaked them in #2 wash tubs for a week or two and then put
them in an antique display cabinet we ran upon. Folks would come in for
the husband to look at guns and the wives would see the display cabinet.
We generally sold more antique bottles than guns because of that display.

Folks liked the bottles and jars that had turned a light violet color
due to the sun hitting the glass for years. Mostly turned violet if
there was a good bit of selenium in the glass. We would take the privy
bottles and put them in a box I built with a barber's sanitary light in
the top. One week and we had genuine antique sun purpled bottles. Price
of those doubled and tripled. G

George