Old 01-09-2016, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default over winter crops?

On 09/01/2016 05:34 AM, Derald wrote:
T wrote:

I was hoping for something to eat.

where?

General knowledge of your whereabouts—USDA zone, at least—and of steps
you take to temper conditions for the garden's sake would be of benefit.
For examples, can/do you provide any combination of protection,
insulation, heat sources? What crosses your mind when you read
"microclimate"?

Would love a green house, but I am way to poor for that. And
we have hurricane level 1 winds a couple of times a year.
Most green houses blow away.

I have no special anything other than me over loving the things.
They have made me into a slave. But ...

Your USDA zone for "X" in the following google (startpage) search might
offer some suggestions:

zone X winter vegetables -alibaba -ebay -book -books -auction -amazon
-peeplo -wow.com

Northern Nevada south of Reno. Elevation: 4900 feet.
Very arid. Freezing winters. Short growing season:
mid June through first freeze in September/October.
Hot summers 90-100F in the day, 45-55F in the night.

Most of what I see for winter vegi's in in climes with no
freezing weather.

I am dying to try those Potato Onions and maybe throw
in some Grey Griselle Shallots. I just planted my garlic
for the season yesterday.

http://www.southernexposure.com/yell...-oz-p-873.html
http://www.southernexposure.com/grey...oz-p-1441.html

Basically what Songbird said: things that grow underground.

Sorry 'bout the word wrap but I'm sure you can overcome.

Worked perfectly here. It is an issue with the software and
not you. Your's seems to be working fine.

[OT] Gratuitous aside: Does your reference to "Primal" elsewhere in the
thread refer to principals of so-called (and self-described) "Primal
Living"?

I try to follow this as close as I can.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...mal-blueprint/

Did a bunch of office work last week and wound up with a stinking
blood sugar of 124 mb/dL, which is not good.

Did a bunch of gardening yesterday. Woke up with a blood
sugar of 84 mg/dL, which is phenomenal for a drug free T2
diabetic. This gardening is good for me in so many more
ways than I ever imagined. I need to break up my office work
with gardening and fishing.

Grok on!

-T