Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen[_8_] Stephen[_8_] is offline

Default tomato/potato blight 2016?

Hello,

Has anyone else been caught by blight this year? I'm in Staffordshire.
I had some tomato plants outside and one day they were green with
small fruit on and the next day they were like brown skeletons. I
presume that is blight? I could not find any good descriptions or
photos of blight on the internet to confirm this.

A week or so later my potatoes started to look a bit sorry for
themselves; they had gone from lots of tall green foliage to green
foliage lying down that looked more bare, and then the stems changed
from green to brown. I tried to harvest the potatoes before it spread
into the tubers but they had not been growing for long, so I only got
small new potato-sized potatoes. I noticed the original tubers that I
planted were brown and rotten and just a squishy mess. Is that blight?
I'll look into growing the tomatoes in a greenhouse next year and a
more blight resistant variety of potatoes.

Thanks,
Stephen.