Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please identify this plant

On 02/09/16 00:28, Al Tprk wrote:
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 2:08:56 PM UTC-7, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 01/09/16 20:28, Al Tprk wrote:
Hello all:

Another identification request please.

https://plus.google.com/101467498787...ts/NerUcrvaHLe

I used a program called "Leaf" but it could not identify it correctly...

Thanks!

Al

It's a cornus fruit. Maybe something like Cornus kousa.

--

Jeff

On a different note, can this tree be grown from cuttings?

Thanks,

Al

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/4391/i...ousa-i/Details
Propagate by semi-hardwood or hardwood cuttings or grafting

More info at http://www.pfaf.org/user/cmspage.aspx?pageid=58
"The plant can also be propagated by cuttings, though these are not as
vigorous as seedlings. However, if you know of a particularly good
fruiting form* then cuttings are the best way of increase. Half-ripe
side shoots 10 - 15cm long and preferably with a heel can be taken in
July or August. Put them in a sandy compost and place them in a lightly
shaded place in a greenhouse or polytunnel. It is important to keep the
shoots in a fairly humid atmosphere and preferably with some bottom heat
to encourage rooting. Rooting should take place within a few weeks,
though we usually get quite poor results. We get a much better take with
hardwood cuttings in late autumn once the leaves have fallen. These
should be 15 - 20cm long of the current years growth and preferably with
a heel. We put them straight into the ground in a polytunnel and usually
get good results."

*NB PFAF is interested in food plants. You can apply their directions to
good flowering forms, too.

--

Jeff