Old 12-09-2016, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Prune Rosemary bush?

On 09/09/2016 16:55, David wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 17:37:19 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I'm looking at a Rosemary bush in the garden which has got a bit scruffy
this year. I don't want to accidentally kill it off, because it's nice
to have fresh Rosemary available, but looking at the stems, I'm guessing
that it doesn't grow from old wood. Or does it?

In my coarse gardening experience you can cut them back a long way as long
as you make sure there are plenty of green shoots on the wreckage.

As others have said, layer or take cuttings first just in case.

I have struck a load of Rosemary and a few Lavender cuttings this year and
they all seem to be doing well.

Which leaves me with the minor problem of what to do with the extra ones.

Cheers

Dave R

I've had great success with rosemary against a north facing fence i.e.
well protected, but virtually no direct sunlight or rainfall. I stick a
twig in the ground every 3 years or so, and ditch the main plant every
5. Come to think of it, plenty of Mediterranean herbs also do reasonably
well there. Go figure, as they say.

---