Old 16-09-2016, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet corn devastation

In article ,
Janet G wrote:
I'm wondering what has completely stripped in a few hours, probably
overnight, my complete sweetcorn crop.

I think it can only be a fox or Muntjac as there are no larger animals
in this area (south Lincolnshire) that I know of.

There is trampling underfoot and the surprising thing is that some of
the stalks Have been chewed more than five feet above the ground. Could
either animal cause damage so high up?

The usual cause where I grew up was baboons, but I suspect that I would
have heard about a troop of those in Lincolnshire! You might not know
if there were roe deer in the vicinity, as they are nearly as good at
hiding as muntjac. The only other thing I can think of is a herd of
squirrels, but that's as implausible as baboons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.