Old 17-09-2016, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How deep for onions?

T wrote:
"... depth of at least 8 in., preferably 12 in."

I am about 8 inches down. The rocks have become
pretty big and take about 20 minutes of work to
extract.

8 is probably plenty (i don't ever see onion
roots going down that far when i pull ours). maybe
that extra depth is for the garlic...

I tell myself I will only have to do this once.
The other part of me says, but you will continue
to expand and have to do this over and over and
over. I am reminded of farms I have seen with
rock walls made from rocks they dug out. I must
have taken them years!

yes, remember, to start with, all was molten rock,
without wind/water and plate techtonics we'd not
be here.

use the rocks to make wind blocks. your plants
won't have to struggle so hard and the area will
hold more moisture longer.

all of our rocks were brought here by trucks
and cars (and once in a while a cement mixer as they
can chute crushed limestone nicely ).

there may be rocks down deeper but they are covered
by layers of coal, salt, sand, clay, etc. the glaciers
left a few here or there.

songbird