Old 18-09-2016, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How deep for onions?

T wrote:
And since I will be putting vegetable scraps at the bottom,
how long should I wait before planing the bulbs? Can I
do it the same day?

since i didn't answer this part and haven't seen
it addressed elsewheres...

when you use veggie scraps it depends upon what
type they are as to how far and how much time you
would give it.

the wetter and more fungi or other questionable
things going on the further away and more time you
want to put them from your bulbs. how much stuff
you putting down there? an inch or less?

because i worm compost the veggie scraps here
they can be planted right into directly (worm poo
is dominated by bacterial species which will die
off as the worm poo ages -- similar to how human
poo bacteria will also die off as the poo ages, but
i would never plant human food directly into human
poo).

so given that information and further thoughts
i generally only isolate things that are going to
actively ferment and rot (green stuff, fruit scraps,
spoiling meats, fungi laden stuff) from the plants
and seeds by about four to six inches of dirt.
as the stuff rots the dirt settles, so i also leave
some extra up top to compensate for that.

oh, meat stuff i would bury deeper so that the
critters/flies don't smell it or dig it up.

this all reminds me, i have a bucket of tomato
trimmings to bury.

songbird