Old 20-09-2016, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Tree to identify

On 2016-09-20 20:32:42 +0000, Don Wiss said:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Al Tprk wrote:

Yet one more plant to identify please!
Here is the leaf and the fruit:
https://plus.google.com/collection/I6Q-jB

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53309/
Be careful, the seed is toxic.

Unlikely. With a common name of Japanese apple, it is going to be edible.
The persimmon answer makes more sense.

No way was Al's photo of a medlar, nor a persimmon. Not only are
medlars exceedingly uncommon in California, their fruit never gets that
red and the blossom ends have much more of a "dog's arse" appearance.
I'll admit that pomegranates typically have a much more protrusive
blossom end than Al's photo, but the color, shape and leaf appearance
are consistent with a slightly beat up pomegranate. Also, pomegranates
are colloquially known as "Chinese apples" and the French person may
have been close, but no cigar.

Now, if Al would have the courtesy to reply with a photo or description
of the fruit interior, we would likely obtain a definitive answer.