Old 23-09-2016, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard

On 23/09/2016 02:08, Je�us wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 08:07:22 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:04:09 +0200, SJP
wrote:

Hello,

I’ve recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre
orchard and I’m struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles
and thistles under control. I’ve used a mixture of a medium-powered
strimmer and an Austrian scythe, but it’s a good 6-8 day job with
either. Is there something that I can buy that can cut this in a day or
so? I don’t have a tractor, van, fork-lift, or the like, and the access
is poor. As such I need something that is both small enough to fit in a
car-boot and light enough to lift, push, etc. I want a tool that can cut
4-6 months growth of this grass, etc. 2-3 times a year. Does anyone have
some recommendations?

Am I correct in thinking that a power scythe would be to bulky, heavy
and expensive? I was considering a very powerful second-hand Stihl
brushcutter or a wheeled trimmer, but, whilst quicker that what I’m
currently using, would either be a sufficient enough upgrade to warrant
buying one or the other? Ultimately, the machines I’ve ended up
considering are the following:
SHERPA Paddock Master Drum Mower
SHERPA Bravo Rough Cutter

I would be delighted to hear any advice. Many thanks.

Sheep?

That would be my solution.

Sheep don't like long grass. Goats would do but they would like low
branches as well.