Old 26-09-2016, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default seedling stem colour

On 26/09/16 13:56, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:27:18 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I pricked out 60 seedlings of Amsonia hubrichtii yesterday (seeds from
my own plant), sown in spring. I was most surprised to see that there
was a marked variation in stem colour; five in six were deep pink, the
rest were a pale green. There was no difference in size.

I have never seen this sort of variation in colour before. I assume that
A. hubrichtii is self-fertile - it's not exactly a common perennial,
although I have seen it for sale at the odd garden centre. I haven't
seen any other Amsonia plants around, even tabernaemontana, which is a
lot more common and might cross-pollinate hubrichtii.

Any explanations for the variation in colour, and the 5:1 ratio?

Not really answering your query, but as I've never heard of it I
Googled for images. http://tinyurl.com/ze5nmst I'm puzzled, as two
foliage colours seem to be available: golden yellow and bluish green.
Is the golden yellow it's autumn colour before it dies back, or are
there different cultivars? If the latter, might this account for the
different stem colours in your seedlings?

I've never seen foliage colour other than green, except in the autumn.
Some of my seedlings are changing foliage colour, but it isn't just the
green or pink stemmed ones - it seems pretty equally divided.

--

Jeff