Old 28-09-2016, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Winter Squash

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 8:06:31 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 09/25/2016 05:23 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...rnpea.jpg.html

Although the pumpkin patch ended up buried in weeds, we've begun getting a good harvest of winter squash. There are a lot more out there that I'll gather after the first frost. Most will end up as winter treats for the sheep.

Paul

Hi Paul,

That is a thing of beauty!

What are each type of squash?

And, do you have a picture of the patch itself (don't
mind the weeds, we won't care).

-T

The football-shaped one up front is a Blue Hubbard, that big long one is a Giant Argonaut, the two orange ones are Red October, the round yellow ones are spaghetti squash, and the smaller tan ones shaped something like light bulbs are Butterscotch Squash.

The Butterscotch are great for dinner; my wife splits them into halves, removes the seeds, adds butter and bakes. She used to top with brown sugar before we started our current diet. One half squash for each of us is just right.

This is the pumpkin patch when the plants just started to grow:

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Pav...4bngp.jpg.html

Three columns and seven rows with the hills six feet apart. I'd run the tiller around the hills to keep the weeds down before the vines started to run. No pictures of the over-grown patch yet.

Paul